Friday, December 26, 2008

the not so fun parts of parenting

We finally had to break the news to Truett today about the passing of Caeser. We thought he was still a bit too young to understand, but boy were we wrong. We told him that Caeser went to live in heaven with Jesus, along with Papa. Truett ran straight to our front window....Caeser's favorite spot to hang out while he was outside. When he realized Caeser wasn't there, he turned around and looked at Rhett and I....his bottom lip started to quiver and his eyes welled up with tears as he said..."but, he's my buddy!" Wow, we weren't prepared for that at all. After that the waterworks began. I don't think Truett has cried that long or that hard over anything else. This experience definitely ranks in the top 5 hardest things I've had to deal with as a parent.

After some comforting, we asked Truett if he would want a new puppy and he insisted that he only wanted Caeser. As the day went on he seemed to like the idea of getting another dog so Rhett and I are on the lookout for another Jack Russell. We know a new dog will never replace Caeser or the love we had for him, but it seems like a good way to help Truett move on and I know a puppy will bring so much joy to our home.

1 comment:

Abby Reed said...

oh, Kylee... what a hard thing to have to do, telling Truett. I'm so very sorry for your loss... but I look forward to you all adopting a new puppy and having Truett be his *big brother* this time.