Last week Claire had her 1 year well-check and the pediatrician discovered both of her ears were infected (a surpise to us!) and gave her 10 days of antibiotics. While on the antibiotics, she started running a fever and acting like her ears were bothering her so I took her back for a re-check today and got bad news. Her ears are still extremely infected...much worse than last week. The meds did not do anything at all for her. So, she got a shot of Rocephrin...which relieved me because I thought it was a cure-all. Wrong! Dr. Z. says even the shot will not help these particular infections. She also prescribed another antiobiotic, which will also not help get rid of the infections, but instead keep Claire "comfortable" until we can get in to see an ENT (ear, nose, and throat DR.) and have tubes placed in her ears.
On one hand I was relieved because FINALLY something is being done about her ears, but on the other hand I was brokenhearted and scared. I cried right there in the ped. office because of how much Claire has dealt with regarding her ears...then to think that she is going to be put under anesthesia and have ear surgery scares me to death! Dr. Z. assured me that it's a minor surgery and that Claire will be 100% better immediately so I'm ready for that part! We are being referred to an ENT and will hopefully get in to see them in around 2 weeks. They will check her ears further and do hearing tests, etc... Then hopefully her surgery will be done less than a week later.
Even though she doesn't feel great, she's still the smiling happy little girl that makes my day everytime I look at her! She's taking it like a trooper so hopefully we can all survive these infections for a few more week until the surgery. Please keep our ClaireBear in your thoughts and prayers over the next few weeks. I'll be sure to update on her progress.
Friday, January 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




4 comments:
oh, poor baby. But it will be better in the long run... and she'll be talking up a storm before you know it! :)
Poor ClaireBear...we are definately praying for you guys!
My baby was a little less than a year when he had tubes put in. He did really well. And I'm sure your baby will too. I will tell you an older baby who got tubes at the same time cried a lot in the recovery room but that was just because he was waking up from the anethesia and it freaked him out a little. Once he was really awake, he was fine.
The good news is I haven't had to worry about the baby getting ear infections for nearly a year now!
I'll be thinking of Claire over the next few weeks. Hang in there mommy, as tough as it seems now in the long run it will be all worth it.
Post a Comment