Wednesday, October 8, 2008

do you work?

I can't even begin to count how many times I have been asked that question. "Do you work?" 95% of the people who are meeting me for the first time ask me that. This morning I was filling out an application for a library card and under occupation I simply wrote "stay at home mom." I really wanted to write, "domestic engineer" which is my favorite term, but didn't want to sound like a smarty pants. Then I needed a reference so I put my friend Kristin who was standing by me at the time. Under "work number" I didn't write anything so the librarian said, "Do either of you work?"

This is where I want to either laugh hysterically or become very angry. I kind of chuckled and said, "We stay at home with our children, but to answer your question, YES WE DO WORK!" She got my point.

Luckily it didn't go any further than that because most people give me the raised eyebrow look that usually means, "Ooooh, you're one of those...." To anyone who thinks staying at home with any amount of small children is not work then please come spend a day with me. I know I could change your mind.

Blinkies

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I saw the title of this post I knew exactly what you were going to write about! LOL

Anonymous said...

How funny...I know exactly what you mean! And yes...staying at home with our children IS work...but we wouldn't trade it for anything!

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

I can totally relate to this post!

Don and Ida said...

Kylee, this is Ida...
I stayed home and raised my kids and also remember telling people that I worked and worked harder than I ever had in my life only did not get a paycheck. Your pay comes sometimes years later when your kids grow up and remember your being at home with them.
I'm glad there are some moms who do still want to stay home with their kids and are able to....they are only little once and it doesn't last long! Enjoy those babies and turn your nose up to those snobs who ask you "do you work"....for they know not what they speak!!