Friday, November 14, 2008

what do you say when "I'm sorry" just isn't enough

Yesterday morning I got the terrible news that a dear family friend had passed away unexpectedly at the age of 53. Patty was like a 2nd mom to me growing up. Her daughter, Kenda, was my best friend from 4 years old all the way through high school. Our lives grew in separate ways after our high school graduation, but we have remained in contact and I will always love Kenda. Patty was also my mom's best friend.

Yesterday afternoon I made the trip back "home" to my hometown to see Kenda and her family. I was nervous the entire trip. I mean, what to do you say to someone who has just lost their mother? "I'm sorry" just isn't good enough. I learned that the hard way 6 1/2 months ago when my own dad passed away. There is nothing you can say that will help or take the pain away. I became more nervous once I felt the brick road of Main Street in Amherst underneath my tires....that meant I was almost there. I began praying that I could find the right words to comfort a devastated family. Once I arrived to the house that I used to spend countless hours hanging out or having sleepovers, the reality hit. I have SO many memories of Patty, Kenda, their entire family, and that house. No words came though, only a hug....a meaningful hug.

Patty was a great woman, a great wife, a great mom, and a great friend. She will be dearly missed by her family and everyone around her. My thoughts and condolences go out to anyone who knew her because if you knew her, you loved her.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are thinking about you guys...we're here if you need us!

Abby Reed said...

Yes, you're so right. Everyone loved Patty. What a heartfelt blog, Kylee.

Love ya.

Don and Ida said...

You were there...that's what's important to Kendra...and why she and her Mom loved you...DDH

Elizabeth said...

Again, I'm so sorry for your heartache. You're in our prayers. (((HUGS)))