Monday, December 29, 2008

Truett's surprise

We really didn't know how to help Truett overcome the sadness he felt after losing Caeser, other than finding him a new puppy. We felt guilty even thinking about getting a new dog, but finally decided that Caeser would want us to have another dog to protect our family, love us, and watch over our children. If anything, we hope that our decision to get another dog so soon GLORIFIES Caeser and shows that he was a huge part of our family and left a void in our hearts and our lives. That void won't be filled by getting a new dog, but we sure hope it helps Truett cope a little better. While emailing back and forth with a friend of ours, Don, he said something that really stuck in my mind and made me feel more comforted in our decision...

if you've ever watched the movie Ole' Yeller...when Ole' Yeller dies, the little boy cries that no one could ever replace Ole' Yeller...but then he holds one of Yeller's puppies...and you know what happens then...And the pup would never replace Ole' Yeller in his heart ...but walk in his footsteps...carry on his tradition of loving and protecting those he loved...make his on place in our hearts... Thanks Don!

So, with all that said, Rhett and I decided to look for a puppy yesterday. One of the biggest reasons being that Rhett is off work all this week and we wanted to all be able to adjust together...not to mention my hands are pretty full with the kiddos right now, adding a puppy to the chaos is going to be quite a chore!

We drove 370 miles round trip, but found the sweetest Jack Russell puppy. We were actually interested in his brother after their owner emailed us a few pictures. We really liked the owners because they are not breeders...they just happen to have a female and male Jack Russell that accidentally became pregnant...and they are so loving to their dogs. Anyway, we went thinking we were going to get his brother, but this little puppy won our hearts. I guess he's kinda the runt of the litter...his legs are a bit shorter than his siblings and the owners even said the others treat him like an outcast at times. We ended up choosing him and haven't thought twice about it!

Truett and Claire stayed with their MawMaw and Papa so when we arrived with the puppy Truett was ecstatic! He kept thanking us for the new puppy and asking if we could take him home. He rode in Truett's lap on the way home. We are really pleased with him...he seems so loving and wants to be around us 24/7. Of course he loves playing with Truett, but he also seems to love Claire already. Anytime she's sitting down, he finds a way into her lap.

It is a bit hard at times to look at him because he reminds us so much of Caeser. Everytime I hear his little toenails clicking across the floor I think of Caeser, or when I feel his soft little floppy ears, I'm reminded of Caeser.

Here is Truett and his new puppy, Cooper!

4 comments:

Don and Ida said...

Congratulations to all the Kerby's on he newest member of the family...Cooper!!!!.....I think Caeser would be pleased to see that smile on Truett's face...and to see that little pup seek out Claire's lap...sad time...but at the same time...a great time...grow strong Cooper....DDH

Abby Reed said...

Yay! What a sweet precious face Cooper has! Oh, and I am so glad you found a doggy who needed a good home -- kudos!!!!

And, as for the name Cooper, I love it. When I was in college, i got a shih tzu and named him Cooper... then my yucky landlord told us she wasn't allowing dogs anymore and that I had to get rid of him. So, I gave him to my parents. The name Cooper is extra special to me :) And the name seems to suit your baby Cooper!

Oh, and by the way, I don't know much about Jack Russell's... but man, they are so cute. I will definitely have to consider a JRT next time we get a doggy!

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

What an adorable puppy. I hope his presence helps Truett feel better.

Jess said...

You and Rhett for sure did the right thing. These pictures of Truett with his new buddy show what a great idea it was to get another puppy.