Sunday, March 29, 2009

savoring the moments...

Truett is quickly becoming a busy little guy and I must admit, while I'm excited to go on these new 'adventures' with him I'm also a bit sad. As I mentioned in my previous post, he's about to start playing tee-ball and in the fall he will be attending preschool. On top of that, he will still be going to Thursday school and Mission Friends (the class he goes to while I teach GA's at our church). From there it's just going to snowball into more and more activities, then he will be in Pre-K, then Kindergarten and before I know it he will be going off to college!

I've been thinking a lot about this lately. Once he starts preschool, things will never be the same, ever. No more lazy mornings cuddling in bed and watching his favorite shows while we wait for Claire to wake up, no more taking our time making a breakfast every morning together, and no more being with mommy all day every day. I will not be the center of his world anymore...he will have more friends and activities to participate in. My baby boy will be out in the world learning new things that I did not teach him, eating things that I did not prepare for him, and talking to new people that I don't even know.

I know this probably sounds extreme to some people, but after staying at home with him and doing everything with him and for him, it's really hard to give up that control to someone else. I wish it would not have taken me this long to realize that the time I have with him all to myself really is short. Although, I am so blessed to have even had the opportunity to stay at home with him and witness every single second of his life.

So what am I going to be doing the next few months? Relishing in the time I have with him at home. Cherishing every last second of our days together.

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Awwww, you made me cry.

I'm feeling the same way right now. Sure, Zack's already in Pre-K but that's only been twice a week for 4 hours. That's all he's been away from me. Kindergarten is coming in September and that's full-time school! Our mornings are going to go from lazy snuggles to bathe, dress, eat, brush teeth, and out the door! This summer, we have T-ball and swim lessons... where I will only be WATCHING him. I won't be there TEACHING :(

Soon, he'll be a teenager hiding in his room and coming out only to grab a banana on his way out the door as he tells me he's too old to kiss me goodbye :(

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

Oh, Kylee, I feel the exact same way. I am not even remotely eager for Dylan to start school. I don't want to put his life in the hands of someone else. I don't want to let go of my control over him. Just know that you aren't alone in feeling this way. We can grieve together in the fall, lol!

Ashley said...

I know exactly how you feel...I had those same feelings last year before Madison started school...and it's still tough...I can't believe my little girl is growing up. You're right...lazy mornings turn into a 'routine' of brushing teeth, eating breakfast, getting dressed, and out the door. It's tough to 'let go,' but it helps SO much that she enjoys school!

kim said...

i know its hard to get used to but all the things that are going to happen will be really fun to do with him and watch him grow etc.Its definately a new phase of life but its fun.

Don and Ida said...

Mom (and Dad) will have taught him well...he will go forth always...and make you proud...proud...proud...DDH