Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Truett's new bed...

For the past several months Truett has been BEGGING for a bunk bed. We tried explaining to him how bunk beds are for boys who share a room with their brother, etc.. Didn't work...he still wanted one. He just thinks they are SOOO cool. Well, as Christmas got closer we were racking our brains trying to figure out what to get Truett, when it came to us...a bunkbed! That was really the only thing he has expressed great interest in. So, we searched for bunkbeds and realized not only were they out of our price range for our Christmas budget, but we really didn't like any of them! Not to mention, his bed is a full size and most bunkbeds are twin...meaning we would have to buy new bedding and a new mattress....not cool. SO, Rhett decided to build it. Yes, build it...with his hands, by himself. I love having a husband that is extremely handy around the house! A friend had some 'recycled' wood they were going to throw out so we gladly put it to use. In fact, the bed ended up being mostly made out of recycled or free materials, other than 3 pieces of wood and varnish. So here is the bed..it is a full size loft bed...plenty of room underneath to build a fort, play with toys, use as a playhouse...whatever a 5 year old boy can imagine!....
a few other parts of Truett's room...it's kind of a 'vintage transportation' theme as I like to call it...some awesome license plates i snagged on ebay...

Rhett and I took these photos of old train cars, I edited them, and had them printed on canvas..you can't tell from the pics, but they are BIG
Do you see anything in common between the last 3 pics? Yes, they all have rusty nuts, bolts, etc.. on them somehow. I did in fact raid Rhett's barn and dig these out of a big bucket full of rusty 'junk.' Hey, one man's trash is a woman's treasure! ;-)

3 comments:

Don and Ida said...

Think you should call him 'Rhett The Wonderful' from now on...

My brother and I had bunk beds when we were little...in fact, those same beds, with the same bedspreads, are down at the ranch right now...closin' my eyes, I can still see myself crawlin' up in that top bunk so many moon ago now as as youngster...

DDH

Kylee said...

Don't give him any ideas, Don!

kim said...

cool. we have a bunkbed but i like that style better where you can play underneath. whenever we move we are going to get one like that.