Monday, July 21, 2008

ahh, the joys of freecycle!

I have been frequenting freecycle and craigslist for a while now, but this weekend I truly saw how much I love them! Our house had an ugly cinder block fence surrounding it that I'm sure was cool at one time, but we thought it really made our house look old and we wanted to take it down. However, we knew it would take forever and didn't have the energy to do it after spending the past 2 weekends painting the outdoor trim, doors, and shutters. Rhett was really hesitant to get rid of the fence...I think mainly because he didn't want to do it himself. Anyway, I posted an ad on freecycle saying you could have the cinder blocks if you take the fence down and haul all of the blocks off. My email account was bursting with replies in a matter of minutes! We had already looked into it and figured out even if we did sell them it wouldn't be worth our time, sweat, and gas money to haul them somewhere. Anyway, Saturday morning bright and early a family shows up to start taking the fence down and by this morning it was totally gone! I could see the happiness in Rhett's face all weekend knowing that something productive was being done and we weren't having to do it! Plus, the bricks are being recycled so that's a plus too!

2 comments:

Abby Reed said...

I've never even heard of freecycle... Will go check it out now!

Jess said...

Is Freecycle not the best thing ever invented?!?!?! I love it! I'm glad that your fence is gone and no work for you two. You deserve a break after all that painting.